Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Out In The Cold

My good friend William Hill is chuckling tonight. A good proportion of my Saturday winnings were re-invested in a 1-1 draw tonight. Only William himself and Senor Gonzalez considered that the final score was anything different!

There, that's got it off my chest (rather like Thierry as he slotted the equaliser that never was). What was just as galling was the fact I had just said to my companions for the contest that the referee (the aforementioned Senor Gonzalez) had been superb. In his defence the handball or offside decision appeared to be called by his assistant, who really should have gone to Specsavers!

That having been said, you cannot argue that too many Gunners had an average evening. No brickbats from me, it happens from time to time. It was unfortunate that players who have been outstanding of late should have collectively allowed themselves to be hurried out of their comfort zone by, I have to admit, a very enthusiastic and accomplished opposition.

I imagine the boss will be trying to focus on the positives in his debrief. The much maligned Hoyte was not the most nervous defender on view and should be pleased with his nights work, given his lack of experience at this level. Clichy looked good in his cameo role as a substitute. Rosicky was the pick of a midfield that misfired, under pressure, for much of the contest. Kolo Toure was, well, Kolo Toure, outstanding.

I will not focus on the positives when I go to the cashpoint in the morning. Henry, largely out of touch for most of the game, clearly grabbed an equaliser. Senor Gonzalez, at this moment I really don't give a toss that you were peforming well for nearly an hour and a half. For a split second you were a prize incompetent, and you owe me a hundred and twenty beer vouchers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home