Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Happy Daze At The Lane

It’s a mixed blessing being a Gooner of advancing years. The downside is I can remember, all those years ago, when we used to go to White Hart Lane thinking we could be beaten, and sometimes having those worst fears confirmed.

For the main part though there have been many great memories at the home of our neighbours. The first time I can remember being there when we won was THAT night in May 1971 when we lifted the first championship of my lifetime. The sight of thousands of Arsenal fans dancing on the pitch afterwards must have hurt the locals more than anything.

The match in December 1978 will always live in the memory too. Five unanswered goals included my favourite Arsenal strike of all time. The video clip of Liam Brady’s fabulous left foot swerver into the top corner gets a regular airing on my mac, and the celebration afterwards, as he ran the length of the shelf milking the bile. Never before, or since, have I seen three quarters of a ground empty so long before the final whistle.

The following season I was back there again to see a young bunch of Arsenal kids stroll to a 3-1 triumph. Hopefully an omen for tomorrow night? The Gunners were in the middle of a pair of semi-finals in the FA and European Cup-Winners Cups, and rested most of the seniors. Oh how we laughed!

Fast forward to the League Cup semi-final of 1987 and Tottenham lead the replay 1-0 at the Lane. The stadium announcer tells Spurs fans how to apply for tickets for the final at half-time. Cue Ian Allinson and Rocky. 1-0 down, 2-1 up, that is how we won the cup!

Sadly in recent years our allocation means I have not been a witness to some more superb triumphs. A second title success in N17 was witnessed in a pub (no surprise there for those of you that know me!) The team celebrating with that inflatable Premiership trophy. You just have to love moments like that.

I’ll look at the game in greater detail tomorrow, but for now I’m lost in wonderful memories. Kennedy, Sunderland, Brady, Nicholas, Rocky, Wrighty, Paddy, Bobby. Ooh to be a Gooner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home