Monday, February 05, 2007

The Advertisers Dream

The news that Thierry Henry has entered into a mega-bucks sponsorship deal with Tiger Woods and Roger Federer for Gilette has given me yet another headache at the shops.

I am one of those for whom market forces cease to apply when companies are pouring pound notes into the coffers of my club and favourite players.

Since the days when JVC proved to be a loyal and generous sponsor of an inconsistent Arsenal I have resolved to reward those who attach their brand to the club. The beauty of the Gunners first deal was that JVC did produce good quality products.

The only exception to my self-imposed rule was the Sega deal, but if I had been of a mind to buy a games console at the time the Dreamcast would have been forced upon me.

When O2 came along I had to offload the T-Mobile pay as you go brick, in favour of a contract to prove my commitment to our new partners. In fairness to them, my annual renewal has always led to a cheaper deal and a new phone, whether I needed one or not. These days the first number in my address book is the one you text to get a free pint from the mobile phone company at every home game. Well played O2.

Of course my wardrobe is bursting at the seams with Nike gear. If you see a grey-haired old boy on your travels in a bright red hoodie with a luminous 'swoosh', stop me and say hello!

In the event that I need to fly off to foreign climes my first point of call now will have to be Emirates, and thankfully they bombard my e-mail account with messages advising me of their best deals. Bless ‘em.

Now comes the latest restriction to me being able to seek out the best deal. Just a fortnight ago I invested in a new tin of shaving foam. Specially blended for ‘sensitive skin’ this can should have lasted me months. Now it has to go in the bin when I seek out the Gilette equivalent, which doubtless will be twice the price. Thank goodness I already have a (twelve year old!) Gilette razor.

Mind of my own? You’re ‘aving a laugh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home